Anyone who goes to the beach these days often takes a beach umbrella or beach shelter to get some protection from the sun. However, not all beach umbrellas are created equal, and there are so many brands and models that are available in the market today. That alone makes it pretty hard to compare. That is why in this article, we are going to try and help you out by giving you a guide on the beach umbrella and hopefully helping you make a choice a little easier.
Things to Remember When Buying a Beach Umbrella
Size – When it comes to the size of your beach umbrella, you will need to think about how many people are going to be using the umbrella. If it’s only going to be you or one adult and a child, then we can suggest that you could typically get away with a 180cm to 210cm sized umbrella. But if you are aiming to cover a family or even just two adults, then we suggest that you go for a more giant size beach umbrella that has about 220cm to 240cm in diameter. One essential factor that you should consider when it comes to the size of a beach umbrella to buy is what the diameter really means. Even if the diameter is usually considered to be the measurement in a straight line from one point to another, some manufacturers call a “diameter” the measurement up over the arch of the umbrella. That is why if you are going to buy online, you need to get in touch with the seller for you to clarify their given canopy measurement.
Ease of Use – Nowadays, beach umbrellas come with different options on its lower pole for you to be able to secure it into the sand. Because when you are at the beach, you want to be relaxing and enjoying yourself, and the last thing you want to do is to run down the beach, chasing your umbrella after it’s been blown away by the wind. That is why if you can find an umbrella that has a large screw on the bottom pole, it will make it a lot easier for you to secure it at a decent depth into the sand. Wes suggests that you look for a beach umbrella that has a metal rod that can go through the lower pole because it is easier to twist the lower pole into the sand. All you have to do is make sure that you take the pressure off when you feel it getting a bit hard to twist into the sand, or else the lower pole will tend to bend. A beach umbrella that has a carry bag will also make things more comfortable as you just because all you have to do is sling it across your shoulder when you’re taking it to the beach.
Sun Protection – Obviously, there is no point having a beach umbrella if it’s not giving you maximum sun protection of about UPF50+ or over 98% UV Protection. That is why before buying a beach umbrella, you have to make sure that offers just that. As you go shopping for a new beach umbrella, you will notice that most of them have a silver lining inside. And this is what gives most of the protection from the dangerous UV rays. That is why you have to ask the seller first if how much protection does the beach umbrella provides before you buy one. Aside from that, we also suggest that you keep up the use of sunscreen and wear polarized sunglasses even when you’re under a beach umbrella because the reflection of rays off the sand and water can also emit harmful UV rays.
Value for Money – There is a wide range of beach umbrellas that are available on the market, with their prices ranging from $10 up to $200. However, the hard part is figuring out whether buying a $150 umbrella means that it can last longer compared to a $50 umbrella. Most of us would think the more expensive an umbrella will have better quality. However, that’s not always the case. Because sometimes, expensive beach umbrellas are just plainly expensive because they have a fancy pattern or a brand name that you have to pay for. One thing that you have to remember is that the main thing that affects how long a beach umbrella will last depends on how well you look after it and what kind of weather conditions you use it. As we all know, beaches are open windy places, so expect that there will always be a bit of wind pressure on the umbrella’s frame and canopy. If the umbrella you purchase has a narrow arms and pole, then chances are it will take only less wind for it to be damaged compared to those that have stiff and robust poles. If your umbrella’s canopy has a wind vent, then you can be sure that the gust of wind will be exiting there, thus the relieving pressure on the canopy. Rather than blowing the umbrella inside out or down the beach.
Accessories – Due to the increasing popularity of beach umbrellas, you can now select from a wide range of accessories that are available in the market in order to make them even more useful for long days at the beach. You can buy beach umbrella tables where you can place your drinks on, as well as things like sandbags to help secure the umbrella better while you’re at the beach.
Does it have any internal pockets? – When you are at the beach, chances are you will be in and out the sea, and we all know, our beach outfits are short of pockets, and it’s not waterproof. That is why bringing wallets, IDs, jewelry, and cash can be quite risky. That is where beach umbrellas can come to their rescue because some of them give you a perfect place to store all your personal belongings. It will be a lot safer compared to placing your valuables in a tote bag. That’s why if you are the type of person who brings plenty of important stuff during your outing, then we suggest that you go look for a beach umbrella that has internal pockets.
Does it Tilt? – Keep in mind that not all beach umbrellas tilt. It’s not that they are not useful. They are not just meant to be moved around with ease, which means that you need to keep standing up and move them around to be able to give you shade depending on the position of the sun. That is why if you are the type of person that likes to stays at the beach for the whole day, then a beach umbrella that tilts might be the right one for you. This is because once you have positioned its pole, then all you have to do is to change the position of the umbrella by using the mechanism that is found on its pole. You can also adjust its height so that you can keep it from being blown away by the wind.
Tent Design – You read that right, beach umbrellas can also have a tent-like design, too. These type of beach umbrellas often has three side panels which creates a cabana-like design. With a tent-type beach umbrella, you will be able to achieve as much shade as a traditional beach umbrella would give you. However, some say that it feels like less of a beach umbrella because of the enclosed area. But you can be sure that the shade that you will get is consistent as long as you are not facing the sun. Again, when it comes to tent-type beach umbrellas, you should also know if it offers SPF protection, if its anchored, or does it come with a sandbag to weigh them down. If you have to bring your baby to the beach with you, then we suggest that you opt for this beach umbrella because the shade you will get is consistent.
How many people can it accommodate? – Basically, the bigger your beach umbrella is, the more people it will give shade to. But when it comes to this category, you have to make other considerations, too. For example, the umbrella that doesn’t tilt will cast different size shadows depending on the time of the day. Another thing that you should consider when it comes to the beach umbrella’s capacity is the location of the place that you’re going to sit or lay on because the more significant the lounger, the less room there will be underneath the umbrella.
Is it stable? – When it comes to choosing your beach umbrella, make sure you get a pretty good look at its construction. Because if it looks like it’s flimsy, then it probably would not stand up when the wind starts blowing. If you are going to buy a tent online, we suggest that you look at them physically in the store or read the reviews of the people who bought it.
Does it come with a carry bag? – Beach umbrellas that have a carry bag means that it is easier to bring it to the beach and store after use. However, just make sure that the umbrella that it comes with has to be up to the job. Unfortunately, some beach umbrella manufacturers tend to look upon the carry bags as an afterthought. This is why do not expect that the beach umbrella carrying bag will be as sturdy as the umbrella. But when it comes to the quality of the bag, we suggest that you look for its overall construction, its handle, as well as its closures. The zippers should be stitched it securely, and they should look like they can withstand multiple openings and closings.
Pole Material – It’s essential for you to know the material that is used to make the umbrella’s pole. Because even if you’re just looking for a cheap umbrella, if it’s pole is not that stable, then might as well don’t bother purchasing a beach umbrella at all. Wooden poles on beach umbrellas are still famous, but there are its pros and cons, too. For starters, wooden poles won’t rust, but it will take you a long time for them to dry them up. It is also prone to rotting if it is still damp when you put it away. On the other hand, aluminum poles are lightweight, but make sure that you look for the one that has been anodized so that it is safe from rusting even if it comes in contact with rain or seawater.
BEACHBUB All-in-One Beach Umbrella System. Includes 7 ½' (50+ UPF) Umbrella, Oversize Bag, Base & Accessory Kit
Impact Canopy 8' Beach Umbrella, UV Protected, Vented, Tilt Pole, Sand Anchor, Carry Bag, Blue/Green
AMMSUN 7ft Beach Umbrella with Tilt Telescopic Pole and UPF 100+, Flower Vents Design and Portable Sun Shelter for Sand and Outdoor Activities, Carry Bag and Without Sand Anchor Teal /white
Sport-Brella Ultra SPF 50+ Angled Shade Canopy Umbrella for Optimum Sight Lines at Sports Events (8-Foot)
AosKe Patio Umbrella Beach Umbrella Sports Umbrella Portable Sun Shade Umbrella Inclined Heat Insulation Antiultraviolet SPF 50+ Royal Blue
Best Beach Umbrellas
To further help you with your quest to find the next best beach umbrella for you, we made this list so that you can check them out without having to leave the comfort of your home.
- BeachBub All-In-One Beach Umbrella – The BeachBub beach umbrella is definitely an all-in-one umbrella. This is tough enough to handle changing weather conditions. That is why it is an excellent option if you’re going to a beach that has windy climates. This beach umbrella is made to withstand winds up to 35, and its base has a foldable pouch which you can fill with sand, thus adding weight to the umbrella and helping it withstand strong winds. It has a 7.5-foot diameter that can fit a whole family, and it also has a 50+ UPF sun protection that can protect you from the harmful UV rays even if you stay under the sun for too long.
- Tommy Bahama Sand Anchor Beach Umbrella – The Tommy Bahama beach umbrella is a 7-foot umbrella that can provide enough shade for the whole family. It has a telescoping feature that allows you to easily adjust the umbrella so that you can find a position that best works for you. This means that you won’t have to get up and adjust your umbrella where the sun hits, instead, you just need to push a button and have the umbrella adjust itself for you. It has 50+ UPF protection, which means that you can stay all day under the sun safely under this beach umbrella while sitting on your beach chair for the whole day.
- Ammsun Outdoor Beach Umbrella – This beach umbrella is made of 210D Oxford fabric to help protect you against the sun’s harmful rays. The fabric is thick enough to withstand harsh wind while being light enough for easy transportation at the same time. This beach umbrella is also supported by 8 steel-clad ribs. Not only that, this beach umbrella beach has a vent that is located near the top for air to pass through instead of ballooning, which can cause the umbrella to become dislodged from the ground. This umbrella protects from the wind and sun while giving you proper ventilation on a hot day.
- Impact Canopy Beach Umbrella – This is a portable, lightweight beach umbrella that is sure to be a perfect addition to your summer beach needs. It has an 8-foot diameter that can fit the whole family and provide shade and shelter from the sun even on hotter days. UPF 50+ UV protection, so you won’t ever have to worry while you’re having fun at the beach. It also has an adjustable tilt allows you to move this umbrella with the sun.
- Ammsun Heavy Duty Beach Umbrella – This beach umbrella has a pretty hollowed out floral design that acts as an air vent, which allows air to flow freely through the umbrella. Thus, it increases its stability, which makes the Ammsun beach umbrella perfect for windy and hot climates of the beach. It also has a telescoping feature that allows you to control its coverage with ease.
- Sport-Brella Ultra SPF 50+ Angled Shade Canopy Umbrella– This is beach umbrella has a half-tent design, and it is designed to serve you shade in every imaginable circumstance. You can use it on a sunny beach, the rain forest and even to your grandparents’ backyard. This beach umbrella has an 8-foot canopy along with extendable sides. The built of this umbrella is not compromised either, because it has a 50+ UPF protection, a carry-on case, and an 8-ground stake. That is why harmful UVA will not reach you, and the wind cannot easily blow the umbrella away. Plus, its seemingly large size will not be a problem if you’re going to bring it to the beach. You can unfold it in just three seconds.
- AosKe Patio Umbrella Beach Umbrella Sports Umbrella Portable Sun Shade Umbrella– This beach umbrella has a built-in tilt, which protects you from the sun and the wind. Its design is well-thought-out because it has a top air vent, which is perfect for the tremendous stabilizing, which also adds a cooling effect when standing or laying right under it. It also has a sand anchor if you need it.
- Coleman Beach Shade Shelter– This is a beach umbrella that you didn’t know you needed – because basically, this is a tent umbrella. It provides you the protection of a good quality umbrella, but it has a design of a sturdy tent. It’s like a 2-in-1 piece that will serve you equally well in sunshine and rain. Plus, it also has an attached sealed floor gives you a safety cushion along with the peace of mind that bugs won’t get in. The Coleman beach shade shelter also has a 50+ UPF sun protection, which prevents you from getting an undesirable sunburn.
BESROY Portable Beach Umbrella – The Besroy portable beach umbrella has a waterproof nano-coating, a set of 3 stand anchors, as well as a 360-degree tilting mechanism. You can be sure that it can protect you from wind, rain, or sun. In fact, a portable umbrella like this will hardly feel a difference.